Copyright 2021 - Custom text here

19th Century

c. 1800

"The opening valley is rich and pleasent, and the surrounding country very picturesquely broken, being enriched by the beautiful seats of George Birch, Esq., at hamstead; Joseph Scott at Barr; and the Earl of Dartmouth at Sandwell".

[Rev Stebbing Shaw]

1837

Grand Junction Railway from Birmingham

1860 map

1844

Tame Valley Canal Constructed

1851

"Great Barr, three miles SE of Walsall, is a pleasant village, seated on the declivity of the lofty Barr Beacon, which stretches itself out to a considerable extent, and seems like a vast barrier to the country beyond it. The township and chapelry of Great Barr is now a separate ecclesiastical district, and contains 4960 acres and 1087 souls. It includes many scattered houses, and the hamlets of Hardwick, Margaret's Lane, Scott's Arms, Snail's Green, Little Aston and Questlett, extending eastward to the extensive heath of Sutton Coldfield. Lord Leigh is lord of the manor, but most of the soil belongs to other proprietors, the largest of whom is Sir Edward Dolman Scott, Bart, who resides at Barr Hall, formerly called Nether House. Red House, near Snail's Green, is a neat seat belonging to Robert Scott, Esq but occupied by Thomas Bagnall, Esq. "

[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851, quoted from www.Genuki.co.uk]

1854-63

Additional lodge built for Great Barr hall and Gothic billiards and trophy room added to the Hall

1862

Hamstead Station added to Grand Junction Railway

Administrator


Copyright 2020 Great Barr Past and Present, Anthony Lewis