Early Schools

In 1722 John Addye endowed a school for boys which by 1850 catered for 20 boys "who receive an English education and are provided with a coat and cap annually". Addyes' Free & National School (mixed and infants) was built in 1864 to include the original school. The school could cater for 230 with an average attendance of 160 (1896). There was also a girls school educating 30 by 1850, supported by Sir E.D.Scott.

St. Pauls Church of England School, Hamstead had been built around 1874 and extended in 1894. It was closed in 1937 with the younger children having been transferred to Hamstead Junior and Infants School. Older children had been transferred to Charlemont School in 1934.

Sandwell LEA Schools



Walsall LEA