• Shops and businesses

  • Red House Park

  • Hamstead history

  • Public Houses

  • Hamstead village

Copyright 2020 - Custom text here

Fairyfield House

Grade II Listed Building, Late 18th Century house, now flats.


picture of Fairyfield House

The building was re-furbished during 2008.

Residents

The following have been residents of Fairyfield

Stephen Stokes

JP staffordshire 1873. His son, Frederick Charles Stokes (b. 13th Feb c.1864) attended Rugby School which he left in 1877.

George Robert Jebb

George Robert Jebb was appointed as engineer to the Birmingham Canal Network on the 1st March 1875 at a salary of £250. He had a long and distinguished career, having in addition to his work for the BCN been an engineer to the Shropshire Union Railway and Canal Company. He was a friend of Frank Webb the LNWR locomotive engineer who ruled Creww locomotive works for a long period of time. George was President of the Institution of Civil Engineers. He died on the 16th February 1927. He had been engineer and consultant for 39 years and a BCN committee member for 13 years. He was born in Baschurch in Shropshire in 1839, his father was the station master at Baschurch station on the LNWR. Later in his life when working on the BCN he was living in Fairyfield House in Newtown Road, Great Barr. Ref: BCN

also Georgina M Jebb was noted as a resident (Artist?)

about Themes

This site is organised in two ways, firstly by geographical areas, and secondly by themes. There are also more general pages relating to Great Barr. Thus each page has the Main Menu, other menus relevant to the particular page and the Area and Theme menus.

The 'Themes'  groups together content in the following ways:

  • A-Z Road - this aims to provide a list of all streets in the B43 area. Two versions are currently included. The first is a simple A-Z with main postcode and a link to Multimap. The second is a new version where every street has its own pageof information and this will be developed over time (feel free to send me a contribution with the history of your street in Great Barr. Also included is a section on New Developments using the developers name for the site, prior to road names being allocated.
  • Churches
  • Communications - this part includes a number of aspects of 'communications' including Motorways, Canals, Railways, Rivers, Buses, Post Office and Telephone Excahnges.
  • Farms - Great Barr was a predominately rural area and information about farms that existed, and still do, are given here.
  • Historic and Listed buildings - this provides information about key buildings of Great Barr, both existing and long gone. Building that are listed by Sandwell, Birmingham or Walsall are shown seperately. 
  • Mills - the area had a number of water Mills along the River Tame.
  • Parks and Nature - the 'green' aspects of Great Barr include nature reserves, parks and woodland.
  • Public Houses - always a key part of any community the Public Houses and Hotels of Great Barr are described.
  • Schools - the primary and secondary schools are described
  • Shops - another key aspect of any community these pages attempt to record the different uses and owners of retail business in the area.
  • Wartime - this section records the war memorials and other wartime affects on the area.
Other themes are expected to be developed. One - 'People' has been started. While the focus of the site is the physical location there is room for more information on those people of Great Barr who have left their mark on the area in one way or another.

Allen Memorial United Reformed

Newton Road Great Barr, B43 5AZ

On the 25th December 2017 the last service was held at the church. The cost of repairs to the building was too great and the sad decision to close was taken.

More information is available at https://greatbarr.wordpress.com and a history is available at

https://newtonroadurchistory.wordpress.com

 

The original building was situated on the opposite corner of the Hamstead Rd and Newton Road junction where the current church stands. The church was sold to the Congregationalists in 1823 and is believed to have been rebuilt as a Weslyan chapel in the late 1860's.

1890 Map with location of Allen memorial church

In 1917 it was re-opened as a Congregational church due to the efforts of a Miss Powell.

Church on Newton Road c.1920?

This was replaced in 1932 by the current building shown below, which was constructed opposite the original church by Miss Powells nephews, Frank, Tom and Harry Allen in memory of their mother Elizabeth Mary Allen. The building was designed by Albert Bye of West Bromwich. This is thought to be the first all-electric church in the district with electric heating, lighting, cookers and water-heating.

 

Subcategories