• Shops and businesses

  • Red House Park

  • Hamstead history

  • Public Houses

  • Hamstead village

Copyright 2022 - Custom text here

Auxiliary Fire Service

The Auxiliary Fire Service (AFS) was first formed in 1938 in Great Britain as part of the Civil Defence Service. Its role was to supplement the work of brigades at local level. In this job it was hampered severely by the incompatibility of equipment used by these different brigades – most importantly the lack of a standard size of hydrant valve. The Auxiliary Fire Service and the local brigades were superseded in August 1941 by the National Fire Service. After the war the AFS was reformed alongside the Civil Defence Corps, forming part of the UK's planned emergency response to a nuclear attack. It was disbanded in the UK in 1968. (Wikipedia).

In Great Barr it seems there were at least two stations, which were set up in all sorts of available buildings.

One was at Maybury Farm, Perry Beeches.

The other was by Red House Park, off Newton Road. This appears to have been in a garage roughly where the Red House Pavilion is now, probable part of the old garage and petrol station that was on the Newton Road backing onto the Red House Park.