Copyright 2021 - Custom text here

Staffordshire was divided into five divisions called Hundreds for administrative purposes. These date back to the formation of the county as an administrative unit around the early 10th century in the reign of Edward the Elder. The Hundred courts levied taxes, dealt with law and order matters, and tried some civil and criminal offences

This area was part of the Offlow Hundred forming the south-eastern portion of the county, stretching southwards from the River Dove to the environs of Birmingham, Dudley, Bilston, and Wolverhampton.

c.900

The county of Staffordshire was created in the reign of Edward the Elder (899-925) as an administrative unit.

957

King Eadred (King of the English, 946-955) to Wulfhelm (Miles, fl. 951-957; owner of land in Staffs.) , his minister; grant of 5 hides (mansiunculae) at Little Aston and Great Barr, Staffs.

11th Century

1086

The Domesday register shows that Handsworth (Hunesworde) was part of the possessions of William Fitz-Ansculf, lord of Dudley. The tenancy of Handsworth appears to have been split between Drogo and Walter. Due to possible clerical errors Handsworth appears to have been partly mis-registered with Ansculfs holdings in Oxfordshire (as was West Bromwich, which appears in Northamptonshire).

12th Century

1125

Great Barr becomes part of Sutton Park

16th Century

In 1557 Simon Veysie bought a piece of land in Great Barr for the sum of £50. It was he who gave his name to the land which eventually became known as Pheasey Farms.

17th Century

Around 1610 the landscape was redeveloped by the Scott family.

Administrator


Copyright 2020 Great Barr Past and Present, Anthony Lewis