Copyright 2021 - Custom text here

Beacon Cinema

The Beacon Cinema was opened at the Scott Arms on 7th March 1938, a month before The Clifton further down the Walsall Road. It was opened by Councillor Clifford Rowley, chairman of the Aldridge District Council Highways Committee. The opening film was "Oh Mister Porter" starring the comedian Will Hay.

Included in the cinema building were a number of shops, including Lloyds bank, a chemist and a butcher. A fish and chip shop was on the balcony.

The Beacon closed on December 16th 1972. The last films shown were "The Nympho" and "Erotic Three"

beacon cinema (71K)

It was boarded up for ten years before being demolished and re-developed as an office site.

The site in 2004 :

beacon cinema site 2004 (29K)

Information from "Birmingham Cinemas" by Victor J. Price.

Scott Arms

The Scott Arms has always played an important part in the life of Great Barr.


The Scott Arms public house acted as a court and market for the area - the original public house was demolished in the 1960's and a new shopping centre developed.


scottarms 2004 (11K)

Shops flank the Birmingham, Walsall and Newton Roads, and these are detailed on their separate pages

scottarms map1901 (53K)

The Scott Arms acts as a bus terminus. Originally marking the boundary of Birmingham the buses turned in Walsall Road to return their journeys. This is marked by the remains of a 'Bundy' clock which recorded the times of buses leaving. The base remains but the clock mechanism has gone. The letters BCT indicating Birmingham City Transport.

Old Bundy Clock at Scott Arms

Near to this Centro have sponsored artwork representing Barr Beacon.

Centro Great Barr Interchange artwork


Copyright 2020 Great Barr Past and Present, Anthony Lewis