Sainsburys announced in 2013 a proposal to redevelop the GKN Factory site as a new supermarket. By June 2015 the site had been cleared.
The development did not proceed and in 2019 a planning application was made for a new Lidl store on the site.
The proposals included a new 30,665 sq ft (2,849 sq m) Sainsbury’s foodstore and six employment units. The store would have created 200 full and part-time job opportunities for local residents and increase food shopping choice in the area. Sainsbury’s Hamstead will include:
- A wide range of Sainsbury’s popular food and non-food products
- A first floor customer café/restaurant
- An in-store bakery
- Customer toiletsCash machines
- Around 300 parking spaces
- Dedicated disabled and parent/child facilities
- Motorcycle and bicycle parking
- New trees and other landscaping around the site
- A recycling centre
- Pick-up and drop-off point
- Facilities to deliver online grocery orders directly from the store
- Pedestrian and cycle access