Copyright 2019 - Custom text here

Great Barr School

Great Barr School is situated in Aldridge Road.

Web site: www.greatbarrschool.org.uk

The school was officially opened by the Rt. Hon. D Rogers on September 24, 1957 as Great Barr Comprehensive School. The school had opened in September 1957 with thirteen forms of 11 year old boys and girls and 615 pupils between the ages of 12 and 15, who were transferred from the Aldridge Road Boys and Girls Modern Schools which ceased to exist at that time. Mr Oswald Beynon MA was the first headmaster.[ref:Wikipedia]

The modern schools building had been incorporated into the comprehensive school and became the Lower School, with new buildings comprising the Middle and Upper Schools. The Lower school compromises of the English, History and Geography departments, with some Science and Technology rooms. The middle school is mainly made up of Technology rooms and the schools main library. The Upper School is primarily Science, Art, Religious Education, Personal Exercise and Modern Foreign Languages.

In 2005, the school was designated as a Specialist Science and Mathematics College and the school also gained a new specialist science building.

The school's current head teacher is Kate Abbott.

Great Barr is the largest single-site school in the country with over 2,400 pupils on roll.

 

 

 

Administrator


Copyright 2018 Great Barr Past and Present, Anthony Lewis