Copyright 2019 - Custom text here

Beacon Cinema

The Beacon Cinema was opened at the Scott Arms on 7th March 1938, a month before The Clifton further down the Walsall Road. It was opened by Councillor Clifford Rowley, chairman of the Aldridge District Council Highways Committee. The opening film was "Oh Mister Porter" starring the comedian Will Hay.

Included in the cinema building were a number of shops, including Lloyds bank, a chemist and a butcher. A fish and chip shop was on the balcony.

The Beacon closed on December 16th 1972. The last films shown were "The Nympho" and "Erotic Three"

beacon cinema (71K)

It was boarded up for ten years before being demolished and re-developed as an office site.

The site in 2004 :

beacon cinema site 2004 (29K)

Information from "Birmingham Cinemas" by Victor J. Price.

Administrator


Copyright 2018 Great Barr Past and Present, Anthony Lewis