Copyright 2021 - Custom text here

Hamstead House

In the 1880's the newly appointed colliery manager, Isaac Meachem, and his large family had been given accommodation at Hamstead House then a majestic building standing well back from Tan House Lane, but virtually opposite the colliery.
Hamstead House the Hall Farm, an ancient dwelling even then, a product of the peace which succeeded the Napoleonic Wars. Square built in large grey stones, it stood well back from Tan House Lane (now known as Hamstead Road.), beside a narrow lane leading past the farm and under the canal to Gorse Farm beyond. A semi-circular drive led to the large front door of the house, enclosing a well kept lawn within its sweep, whereupon grew numerous trees and bushes, giving privacy to the occupants of the house.
On one side of the house was a pleasant orchard, a place of fairy blossoms in the Spring, and this screened the house from the nearby school. At the black and white farm beyond Hamstead House lived John Hotchkiss and his family, and the farm supplied most of the Meachem family's dairy requirements. A tiny brook ran beside the house and lane and necessitated a plank bridge to cross from Hamstead House to the lane, whilst lower down it entered the sluggish waters of the Tame, close to the colliery.

[From Victorian Hamstead by Meacham]

Administrator


Copyright 2020 Great Barr Past and Present, Anthony Lewis