In the 1880's the newly appointed colliery manager, Isaac Meachem, and his large family had been given accommodation at Hamstead House then a majestic building standing well back from Tan House Lane, but virtually opposite the colliery.
Hamstead House the Hall Farm, an ancient dwelling even then, a product of the peace which succeeded the Napoleonic Wars. Square built in large grey stones, it stood well back from Tan House Lane (now known as Hamstead Road.), beside a narrow lane leading past the farm and under the canal to Gorse Farm beyond. A semi-circular drive led to the large front door of the house, enclosing a well kept lawn within its sweep, whereupon grew numerous trees and bushes, giving privacy to the occupants of the house.
[From Victorian Hamstead by Meacham]