1920 - 1929
Following the deaths of John Robert Scott in 1912 and his wife Kate in 1916 the Great Barr estates were to be sold. On 30th June 1920 an auction was held at the Grand Hotel, Birmingham where 382 acres of Great Barr in 30 lots were sold, including the Red House. The auction details give us some insight into the house and park.
The accommodation comprises:
- On the Second Floor, four bedrooms,
- On the first floor, approached by three staircases, one of which is a handsome one of stone, seven Bedrooms, w.c.'s, three Bedrooms in wing and Bathroom.
- On the ground floor, large Entrance Hall; Matrons Room; Playroom (about 20ft by 18ft); Dining Room (29ft 9”ins by 17ft 6ins), with small room adjoining, used as Nurses’ Dining Room, Children’s Cloak Room, w.c., lavatory basin (hot and cold).
- Domestic accommodation comprises good kitchen with range, Scullery with sink (hot and cold), Servants Hall, China Pantry with sink (hot and cold), Storeroom, two Larders, Cellars
There is a paved Yard with knife House, w.c.’s, and Laundry, Stable Yard with two large Coach-houses, two-stall Stable with Loose Box with lofts over, and Caretaker’s Cottage.
A small Farmery, consisting of Stable, four-tie Cowhouse, Fowlhouses, Calf Pen, Pigstyes etc and large walled Kitchen Garden.
There were extensive undulating picturesque Pleasure Grounds and Park with Woods and Spinneys, large Pool with Boat-house and Hermit’s Cave. In the Park is a monument erected to Princess Charlotte.
The House is approached from Hill Lane and by a well-timbered drive from the Newton Road.
The whole property had an area of 26 acres 1 rood 23 perches.
At the time of sale it was noted that it was let to the Birmingham Hospital Fund on lease expiring 24th June 1923 at an annual rent of £156. It was noted that the BHSF may be willing to surrender the tenancy, which they did.
In 1921 the West Bromwich Corporation bought the house and grounds for use as a sanatorium, but the local Medical Officer at that time deemed the house unsuitable for the purpose. It accordingly stood empty, till 1929.